Don’t let fear hold you back!
How many times have you been put off an idea because of what someone else has told you?
This happens all the time and the more I listen, the more often I hear the negative beliefs of other people. Why can’t you chase that dream to be a rock star? Why shouldn’t you try to succeed with that internet start-up? And why the hell shouldn’t you go to that far-flung 3rd world country for a holiday?
“Egypt? You’ll get killed.” “It’s full of terrorists.” “Isn’t there a war going on there?” were a few of the negative comments we received from people at home when I told them I was going. My favourite of all was “Egypt! Why the hell would you wanna go there, it’s so hot!”
The simple answer: The pyramids.
The long answer includes:
- Camel riding in front of the Great Pyramids
- Exploring the Valley of the Kings in Luxor
- Sailing down the Nile on a felucca
- Hot air ballooning over the Nile
- Meeting great people
- Smoking shisha (flavoured tobacco from a water pipe)
- Walking through temples thousands of years old
- Having fun with street hustlers at markets
- Making friends of a lifetime
- Seeing the Sphinx
- Seeing King Tutankhamen’s mask and treasure
You see, the thing about people’s negativity I’ve found, is it has no basis in reality. Not one person with a negative belief about Egypt had ever been there. Their advice was based only on what they had seen on TV or heard from others.
Obviously there can be dangers with traveling in 3rd world or politically unstable countries and precautions should be made, but by no means should you write off a place based on this. So ask yourself the question? Will the things I will see and experience outweigh the bad things people are TELLING me will happen?
So reconsider that destination you were always too scared to visit. Everything is within your reach.
DON’T LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK!